2019-07: Saturday night's alright for fighting

Roleplay scenes copied to website. Read them there, under 'Downtime Writing' per event.
Thomas Parker

Re: 2019-07: Saturday night's alright for fighting

Post by Thomas Parker » 25-07-2019 11:01

"I'm not a fledgl.." he stopped talking halfway through his sentence. Tanner wouldn't listen to him anyway. But in his own mind he knew that the moment your Sire released you, you were a neonate. That's when he received his name. That's when he became Halim.

But then Milo exploded in angry waves of distrust and disgust. Had Tanner really tried to invoke his 'powers' on Milo again? And why didn't it work this time? Thankfully his lover backed off, which showed more willingness to cooperate than Tanner could possibly ever understand.

"Vazal is like your ghoul right? The blood thing?" Hating to sound so ignorant his brain won from his pride, he could not bring Milo into this without knowing at least what they were supposed to be in relation to one another.

Thomas had to keep his jaw from dropping to the floor when something magical happened. The redhead cooperated. Well, at least the Gangrel knew he was trying to cooperate. Hopefully Tanner would see it that way too.

Charlie Tanner

Post by Charlie Tanner » 25-07-2019 17:01

Tanner’s expression of (not too pleasant) surprise when Milo appeared to resist his Presence was utterly brief, but it was there. Even if he hadn’t expressly meant to use it, per se, the idea that it could be withstood- by a mortal- was a disconcerting one. At the very least, it seemed to have had the desired effect, regardless. Milo was cowed, and Tanner didn’t think he was bluffing. He felt the genuine reaction and the change in the young man’s behavior, recognizing him as the superior predator, and his Beast was placated.

Also disconcerting, however, was the quiet reminder in the back of his head how lax he had become with advancing age in using his Disciplines increasingly indiscriminately. As Cass had warned him, it got easier and easier to slip away from humanity. Which might’ve accounted for how sharply he snarled in answer, when Milo tried to assure his lover of the contrary: “He is. He is a monster. We all are. Do not lie to him, and Thomas- don’t lie to yourself… that will lead to complacency, and that is how you become a monster,” Tanner replied, jaw working as he clenched his teeth, betraying obvious feeling about this subject. “It is constant, continuous work to maintain your humanity- and you must… and know that it is a battle none of us win.”

Tanner subsided again, falling into somewhat more serious- albeit less aggressive- silence for a moment while both men exchanged words. “Fine, kitten, then,” he murmured with a dismissive wave of his hand, when Thomas protested the term fledgling. Tanner wasn’t a strict adherent to the Camarilla jargon- or way of life, preferring the company (or lack thereof) of the Anarchs in Amsterdam; to him, fledgling just meant someone so young and uneducated that they weren’t likely to survive very long. That Thomas didn’t seem to know precisely what a ghoul was only made his point for him. “Yes. As in, a blood-bound Kine. We’re going to have a talk about that… later.”

He listened with what seemed like patient respect and polite interest as Milo brought him up to speed a bit on his own background, largely silent and unresponsive. The corner of his mouth did quirk up at the mention that they were childhood friends and sweethearts, although it was paired with some sadness in his eyes, and he nodded slowly when Milo got to the explanation of his occult leanings.

He didn’t really like to talk about himself, which made the fact that he’d suggested they get to know one another extra odd. But he’d told Thomas already, and he considered this a favour to his step-Childe rather than a kindness to Milo. He was gambling on the fact that the information might do less harm in the mortal’s possession than in anyone else’s- and might give him the proper context to understand what he was dealing with, who he was talking to. That was vital, if they were all going to work together- and for now, Tanner had decided that they were.

“Well, warlock,” he began, dredging up the name for a male witch out of distant memory. He had no idea if it was accurate, but he liked the sound of it- a hint dangerous, arrogant and obnoxious, like his 'dear' Milo. No… he was going to be polite. “My name is Tanner. I’m Australian. I fought in the second World War, when the Aussie’s sent men with guns to fight tanks. Got myself pretty badly, lethally beat up,” Tanner continued, tugging down the collar of his shirt an inch or two to give a glimpse of the start of some gnarly scar tissue going further down. “Some Kindred decided to grant me ‘mercy’ from my suffering. And I’ve been minding my own business ever since, plus Duncan for the tail end of it. Managed to avoid other Kindred and their bullshit until the last year or so, but alas...” He ended his speech with a shrug.

Milo Hayes

Post by Milo Hayes » 26-07-2019 03:33

Milo’s expression was none too pleased as Tanner insisted that Thomas was a monster, fingers curling into fists reflexively, though there was no hint that he intended to use them. It did however take visible effort not to immediately argue, that much was clear, the redhead’s jaw working as he bit figuratively bit his tongue. It didn’t hold out entirely, but at least when he did speak it was more calm and measured, rather than his usual tendency just to lash out and swear before his mind had a chance to filter anything.

“Not sure I follow that logic... I always figured you shouldn’t tempt a self-realizing prophecy... Tell yourself one thing often enough and it’s bound to become true,” He muttered a little bitterly. “But I guess I’m not exactly an expert on you lot,” Milo added in mild concession, his shoulders rolling in a small stiff shrug. Tanner’s words as to maintaining humanity being a battle no vampire won did leave Millo feeling vaguely uncomfortable, grimly aware of some impending fate he had not previously been privy to. But the notion also butted up against his stubborn nature. He was never one to easily accept being told something was impossible, and if anything it generally made him resist and fight against it even harder, often to his own detriment, and especially when it involved Thomas.

Milo’s eyes closed, lips tightening as Tanner offered ‘kitten’ as a substitute to ‘fledgling’, and though he didn’t speak, it was infinitely clear that he was entirely unhappy with the concept of anyone calling Thomas that. It wasn’t even a pet name he used or had ever desired to for the shorter man, but his jealousy was running high tonight.

Just... keep... cool. Still boat. Calm sea.

He could focus as the pair of vampires began to discuss Milo’s role; at the very least, when it came to something educational he could more easily put aside emotion and play into his joy of learning. “Vassal... Ghoul... blood-bound Kine... What term should I most be using, if anyone asks...? Do I need to be calling Thomas ‘my liege’ or something...? Master?” He brought back the original title with a hint of wry amusement, flashing Thomas a brief look that was half-heartedly suggestive while he tried to keep things light hearted.

The redhead did not correct Tanner addressing him as ‘warlock’, nor did he seem surprised by it at all. If anything, there was the slightest hint of a smile, and not even a snide one. Perhaps Milo liked the sound of it as well, probably for different reasons. He behaved however, allowing Tanner the courtesy of offering an introduction in return. Icy eyes flickered towards the reveal of scar tissue as Tanner tugged his collar away. “Oof. Wicked.” Milo murmured, not even sarcastically, though he did arch a brow towards the end of the speech, actually seeming even interested.

“Huh. So you’re not actually a big fan of all the...” Milo gestured vaguely, though decided that Tanner had said it best. “...bullshit.” The ‘warlock’ actually seemed to be appraising Tanner in a different light, nodding slightly, as if the vampire had revealed some important insight. And he had, simple as it was.

Milo could appreciate a man who hated performing for anyone else’s benefit. Though he still felt like the Aussie had some ego issues regardless. But it did seem to confirm to Milo that Tanner would be teaching Thomas said song and dance for the latter’s safety, and not as a power play. An important distinction that he’d been struggling to accept. But that level of bitterness he could understand.

Thomas Parker

Post by Thomas Parker » 28-07-2019 00:49

Thomas physically flinched at Tanner's disgruntled response. He didn't know the subject was such a sore point for the Brujah but apparently, it held some bad memories. And he wasn't alone there. Thomas had seen what The Beast could make people do. Make honest soldiers do. The Beast didn't differentiate between brave men and women fighting for freedom or terrorists, it made monsters of them all. Eventually, it would consume the Kindred it lived in. And Thomas knew. But he didn't need a reminder. So he nodded at Tanner, indicating he understood perfectly well and would like to move on with the conversation as quickly as possible.

He had to choke back something in between laughter and outrage at the term 'kitten'. The look on Milo's face made him lean more towards the second emotion, but more for show. He knew Milo would be stubbornly calling him kitten from now on, just so he could get angry in retrospect about Tanner using the pet name he obviously invented for him.

The rest of the conversation between the two men went unbelievably smooth. Thomas was waiting for one of them to snap but it didn't happen. They both tried. Did their best. That was good news because he needed both of them to co-operate for the question he had been dredging around all evening.

He snapped out of his silent awkwardness though when Milo called him 'my liege'.
"Oh God, please don't call me that Milo. No one will believe anyone would call me that anyway. You can just call me Thomas. Don't call me honey or something like that though, then they know I love you, which would make you a vulnerability. Get it?"

Hoping that would work for everyone he turned towards Tanner again, feet listlessly bumping into some imaginary stones on the ground to give himself something to do.
"So eh, Mister Tanner, I would like to propose something."

No you don't, but you think it's clever, which is almost as good.

"I know you don't trust me. Otherwise, you never would've left me in that burning building, or in the parc, or, well whatever. You know what I mean. And I didn't really do anything to deserve that trust either. But for this to work we kind of need to trust each other. And honestly, I don't trust you but I really want to because I need to trust someone or else I'll go crazy probably." He took a big gasp of unnecessary air to calm his nerves.
"I would like to propose that we instigate a blood bond between us. It is completely okay with me if it is just one-sided, but I need to show you I'm in this to learn, not to screw you over at some point. Okay?"

Charlie Tanner

Post by Charlie Tanner » 28-07-2019 18:51

Tanner’s eyes flickered over Milo’s clenched fists but he didn’t otherwise react. Whether it was a sign of arrogance that he wasn’t concerned or simply trust that he knew the man wouldn’t use them was up for interpretation. His gaze returned to the young man’s face when Milo warned against self-fulfilling prophecies, and Tanner’s grim expression suggested he knew very well what he was talking about and had made no mistake when declaring that their fate was inevitable. Even though he’d seemingly avoided it, himself, thus far, the idea that anyone could survive eternity with their humanity intact was a naive one as far as Tanner was concerned. Anyone with half a brain would come to the same conclusion, he figured, and it was disturbing to him what a stretch it was to empathize and realize that of course a loved one wouldn’t want to think about such a thing happening to their lover. The young man’s admission that he was no Kindred expert said enough, and Tanner merely shrugged in silent agreement.

He didn’t miss the man’s reaction to his use of the title ‘kitten’; it had been meant as a reference to Thomas’ young age and tiger feet, but the fact that it annoyed Milo was an added bonus. Tanner merely nodded at first when Thomas elaborated for Milo that he should call him by name. “You call ‘im whatever he asks. You do whatever he says, when you’re around other Kindred, yeah? You’re not a mindless slave, but pretend you love him so much that you want to do anything he asks you to, yeah?” Tanner added, winking once at Milo in a teasing way, not entirely meant rudely. Tanner teased everyone, it was simply a fine line to tell whether it was done in a friendly way or not.

Tanner rolled his eyes so hard he looked like he might strain something when Milo asked for clarification on his opinion of the ‘bullshit’, making it more than clear. Oh, he understood the ‘need’ for it and respected those who played the game, but Tanner had been happiest when he’d avoided any direct dealings with the Camarilla. Or any other Kindred, to be frank. The more they got caught up in their own perceived superiority, the more he hated them. “You could say that. But I know enough to survive without them killing you for breaking their laws, and I may just be able to teach your main man here it,” Tanner replied, nodding his head toward Thomas before he fixed the curly-haired man with a lopsided smile.

The sharp glance he flashed Milo when Thomas warned him not to let the other vampires see the true nature of their romantic relationship was all Tanner needed to say to confirm this was absolutely, terrifyingly true. Any weakness could be lethal, and information was gold-worth. His eyes were back on Thomas when the young man began, in a very roundabout way, trying to word some kind of request he was obviously nervous about. The Beast stirred with wary curiosity deep inside, ready for anything, and far too eager to grant what Thomas asked when he finally got the words out. It liked very much to claim and dominate young, foolish whelps... although it preferred a bit of a fight, rather than just being shown a soft underbelly or throat right away.

Tanner, however, smirked faintly and just stared for a moment. There was something soft behind his gaze, like recognition or regret as he forced something harder to the forefront. “I get where you’re coming from, mate, alright? Typically, a Sire and Childe would have a blood bond, too,” he began, resting a hand on Thomas’ shoulder. “But that’s easy. I want you to listen and heed my lessons the hard way- not because you have to, not because you ‘love’ me, because of a bond. I want you to struggle and work and agonize. Then you’ll really understand and remember. Not like if you just do everything I tell you to. We’re going to have to trust each other the hard, old fashioned way, if you’re up for that. Because that is a lesson, in and of itself. You’re going to need to learn how to work with other Kindred, without blood in the mix. You should be guarding your vitae like it is the most valuable thing you have- because, Thomas, it is. And you need to be way more protective of it.”

Milo Hayes

Post by Milo Hayes » 29-07-2019 06:34

Milo did entertain a bit of a smirk as Thomas pleaded for him not to address him as ‘my liege’, though didn’t seem prepared to argue about it, a simple joke more than anything. When Thomas began to continue, that he shouldn’t use any form of pet name either, Milo’s expression grew more serious, and less amused. It wasn’t as if Milo was utterly disgusting with forms of public affection, but the idea that their relationship had to remain an utter secret didn’t sit well with him either. They’d already gone through secrecy before, and overcoming shame. This was different, but it didn’t make him like it any more.

“Alright, just Thomas then,” He conceded to the pair with a touch of defeat as Tanner reinforced the notion. Grunting softly in response to the Aussie’s wink, Milo glanced away briefly. True, it wouldn’t be hard to act like he loved Thomas so much that he wanted to do anything the young vampire asked him, because that was already a reality.

The redhead seemed content to stay quiet finally for a bit and simply listen, though when Thomas finally explained what his proposal was for Tanner, Milo’s eyes did widen again. Despite hardly being an effort, self-proclaimed, he definitely didn’t like the sound of Thomas being blood bonded to someone else, even if Tanner appeared to actually have Thomas’ best interests in mind. While it might have been ‘completely okay’ with Thomas if it was just one-sided even, it was clear it was not ‘completely okay’ with Milo in any form, and the fact he did not say so out loud was only due to the barest hint of restraint he had left, and not wanting to start another argument.

Thankfully, he didn’t have to get uppity, because Tanner didn’t jump at the idea either. The Aussie’s response surprised him, honestly, but at the same time, it seemed to make a certain amount of sense. And he was grateful for it. Enough so that he didn’t stare daggers after Tanner for touching Thomas’ shoulder. It just better not linger.

Duncan Ackerley

Post by Duncan Ackerley » 29-07-2019 07:34

Beneath the contrast of shadow and light underneath the street lanterns it was pretty easy to spot the men if you knew who they were and looking for them. From the street alongside the park, he was at their destination pretty fast, even with someone sitting on the back. The loud screeching and creaking of an old bike could be heard approaching the three and settled nearby them, close enough to see a man and a woman stepping off of the bicycle; both of them wearing leather jackets and looking like they'd enjoyed the fresh summer air along the way, cheeks a little flush with it. The redheaded woman had been sitting on the back and the man had been paddling fast to get to his destination, but didn't seem tired. With the means of transportation in hand of the man they both approached, their path clearly leading to the men near the tree.

"Lookin' shady as fuck over there," the man said, sporting a strong Cockney accent, saluting them sloppily with one hand. He wore a pretty roughed up outfit à la James Dean; blue jeans, a white shirt, black leather boots to match the jacket and physically built athletically and fit, if not incredibly tall or buff. His short, tousled hair was a mix of light brown with a subtle hint of natural red, the face underneath sharing a similarly coloured, only partly-grown stubble around his jaw and chin, indicating he couldn't be walking this earth much longer than twenty years. Duncan wasn't someone you'd say would stand out in a crowd of college students, looking as he did.

As he passed Thomas, he punched him gently in the shoulder in a brotherly, non-violent way, gaze not quite meeting his fellow Englishman's as he continued over to stand a little over to Tanner's side, granting him a single gaze and the faintest smile before he turned to the punky redhead. "Good to see you're joinin' us, Milo." In his passing by everyone he'd never quite left the woman's side, actually looking over his shoulder once to see if she was still nearby.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me, sunshine. Inside, I'm someone nobody wants to fuck with. Do you understand?"

Fleur
Site Admin

Post by Fleur » 29-07-2019 10:19

As they cycle through the streets Fleur is very quiet. She is thinking about how to react to Thomas and should she greet Tanner with a bow? He is older and it would of course be the proper etiquette, but it might also be a bit too much.
Sooner then she hoped they arrive at the location, Duncan spotted them first and leads her towards the three men.
Fleur is wearing jeans and a white shirt as well, with some smudges on it. The brightly coloured scarf that hangs around her shoulders is a contrast with the black of her jacket. Her loose red curls she is just tying into a ponytail as they walk closer.

Fleur smiles to Tanner and nods her head “Good evening Tanner, hope you had a good rest”
She then turns towards the only person there she doesn’t know, still smiling but also checking him out. “Hello, you must be Milo” she sticks out her hand to him, glancing at Thomas for a second “It is very nice to meet you”
Everything happens for a reason

Thomas Parker

Post by Thomas Parker » 29-07-2019 19:15

Tanner turning his offer down like that was unexpected. He was silent for a bit, looking as if he got slapped in the face. It was the ultimate offer, voluntary surrender. For the life of him, Thomas couldn't think of any reason to turn it down. Any. At all. Except if he actually respected him and actually meant to keep his side of the bargain because the Aussie wánted to keep his end of the bargain. He looked at Milo for a moment, confused and taken aback. But Milo didn't look too amused and thankfully he didn't need to think of a good answer on the spot.

A friendly bump in the shoulder alerted him to the arrival of Duncan, and right behind him, Fleur. He said hey to his friend and wanted to give Fleur a hug, but she completely passed him and greeted Tanner first. Which was probably appropriate? But then she walked over to Milo and introduced herself. And then he realized he hadn't told her about Milo. He had told no one about Milo except Tanner and Duncan because he had to.

She is so not gonna love that.

"Milo, this is Fleur, my sister." Hoping to save himself a tiny bit he introduced her as family, hoping the gesture would make up for his failure to mention he had a partner. Since forever.

Charlie Tanner

Post by Charlie Tanner » 30-07-2019 12:18

Tanner squeezed Thomas’ shoulder one last time as if to make sure the young man understood the gravity of the lesson he was trying to teach, before letting his hand drop to his side again as his senses picked up ‘intruders’.

He sensed Duncan moments before he heard him, that strong, crude accent like music to his ears due to its familiarity. Tanner smirked as his Childe joined them, looking pretty dressed up (for his standards- no Addidas to be seen), he thought. His gaze flickered over Fleur, following close behind, and something in the back of his mind started to click into place. Once seen he can’t unsee it- how the pair are keeping in close proximity to each other, paying attention to where the other is, the smudges on Fleur’s shirt- who has always been more neat than his Duncan, from what he’s seen so far.

Tanner decided to leave the matter for now, knowing he can wring it out of ‘his’ boy later to satisfy his curiosity. He was just happy Duncan was making friends closer to his age, who don’t seem to have ulterior motives.
“Evenin’, Fleur,” he greeted her casually with a bob of his head and an obviously amused smirk. “I’m alright. Ow ya goin’?”

“And this is Milo, Thomas’ ghoul, yeah?” Tanner added, pointedly, giving them all a gaze that is both deadly serious and a hint cheeky at the same time, somehow, silently informing everyone to accept and keep up appearances.

His gaze fell to rest on Duncan, finally, and he arched a brow in questioning. “So. You show Fleur how to throw down, yeah? In think these blokes already know how to fight. But anyone worried about pulling punches or wigging out when they smell blood, and need t’ practice? 'fore we practice for real...”